Wednesday, October 14, 2009

another reason why I should not be in social media

So yesterday I had this five minute interview at the local radio station on helmet safety, which is sort of my "baby" since I run the child safety program that our ambulance service sponsors. I was roped into being on the radio by my friend and coworker Chris, who is passionate like I am about child safety, except that I suspect she actually IS passionate about it, whereas with me it depends on what time of day it is whether I give a shit or not. At 10 AM I am all, let's get all these little munchkins wearing helmets damnit! And at 2 PM I'm just like, what, another idiot without a helmet rolled their ATV? Bring it on.
I'm kidding, of course. Well, mostly. I was nervous as hell about being on the radio but at least I got to see the questions beforehand and I was totally prepared with my research (which means I skimmed over a brochure I wrote at least a year ago, which is surprisingly well put together and my statistics are spot-on.)So even though they tried to trick me with questions like "why do we need kids to wear helmets now? we all grew up without them" I came right back with "well you never wore seatbelts when you were a kid either, did you, dumbass, but we all know now that seatbelts save lives!"
That is pretty much verbatim except for the dumbass comment, that was just in my head. Since it was early in the morning I was in full-on soap-box mode, though the truth is yes, I rode a bicycle for 2 years that didnt even have a seat and I rode from Northern MN to Mexico in the back window of my dad's station wagon, and look how fabulous I turned out. Most of my generation grew up drinking out of the watering trough and eating lead-based paint off the walls, which is probably why most of us are socially awkward and live on Prozac, but riding around in the back of pickup trucks didnt kill us.
Actually the show hosts were charming ladies and it all went very smoothly and overall I think we kicked ass. They are now talking about having us (Chris and I) on the show on a regular basis to talk about different safety topics. I think it would be totally cool. I was actually surprised when Bob told me he listened to the show and said I sounded very professional. I guess that's because he couldnt hear all the "dumbass" comments going off in my head, which made it kind of murky for me. What would be TOTALLY cool is if we could have a show where we could say whatever we wanted and talk about the idiots we see in the ER on a regular basis, but I'm not sure if this town is ready for that kind of show yet.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I wish there could be a show like that, on TV of course, like mixing ER with Scrubbs, but more dark comedy to represent reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are ya Sarah? You have not posted in a while. We are all worried about you. Do I need to come over there and check on you!

    ReplyDelete